When thinking about education policy around assessments, Bold Moves for Schools proposes 5 tenets to transform accountability, leadership and performance in schools.
- Authentic Student Work -- Authentic student product or performance should be the goal
- Realistic Audience Feedback -- Feedback connected to the purpose of the product or performance can be gathered from an audience outside of the classroom
- Long-Term Projects -- Long term projects where deeper learner can occur should be favored over short-term memorization of processes and ideas
- Collaborative Assessment Design -- Teachers and students can work collaboratively to identify indicators of innovation for assessment purposes
- Self-Navigating Learners -- Students as self-navigating professional learners can monitor, reflect upon and feel connected to their personal learning path and progress
Innovative assessments with varied sources of evidence, tied to student engagement and authentic experiences will result in the most meaningful outcomes. Let’s continue the conversation about what Bold Moves are required to improve teaching and learning.